Downtown Revitalization for Almost Free
Downtown revitalization is in crisis due to the economic slowdown, budget cuts and uncertainty about redevelopment funding. This crisis is limiting economic recovery of downtowns even though developers, local governments, businesses and the public embrace downtown revitalization in recognition of its benefits, including a central location for commercial activities, revenue for government services, a magnet for “creative class” workers, locations for transit-oriented development, and a foundation for a sense of community and place.
This course discusses strategies that provide meaningful benefits with limited funds. You will learn about a range of planning, design, regulatory and financial tools to revitalize downtowns or mixed-use districts. Topics include:
- Identification of local values, history, culture and natural environment that define the downtown character
- Capturing and sustaining community support
- Targeting and marketing to customers (residents and visitors)
- Identifying “shovel-ready” projects to take advantage of pop-up opportunities
- Proactive identification of opportunities, potential sites and marketing for businesses
- Incentives to achieve revitalization goals
- Leveraging businesses, institutions, committees, volunteers, students and nonprofits for program implementation
This course is not currently scheduled.
Please notify me the next time this course is offered.