Prerequisites Requirements and Accreditation
- Is there a recommended order to take the courses in?
- The Foundations of Business Analysis course is the recommended pre-requisite for all of the other courses in the program. The recommended order for the remaining courses is:
- Business Analysis Planning and Execution
- Gathering and Managing Requirements in Business Analysis
- Mastering Requirements Analysis and Solution Evaluation
However, these courses can be taken out of order if necessary. Courses can also be taken concurrently.
- I don't have a background in business analysis. Am I qualified to enter this program?
- This program is designed for professionals in the private and public sectors who seek solutions for process improvement and organizational change. Anyone, in any business field, qualifies to enter the program. However we do recommend some experience in business or related fields in order to be comfortable with terminology and excellent time management skills to succeed in the courses.
- I have limited business analysis experience. How technical are the courses?
- The courses have some level of complexity and technical requirements; however, the content teaches you theory and provides skills that will enhance your success in this field. Contact us at (530) 757-8895.
- Is the certificate program accredited?
- The program is accredited through the University of California, Davis. It is also approved through the UC Davis Graduate School of Management and the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) and the Project Management Institute (PMI)®. It was created by seasoned professionals in the field.
- What are the requirements to earn the certificate?
- You must earn a grade of C or higher in all four courses to earn a Business Analysis Certificate. You have five years from the date of enrollment to complete the certificate.
- Do courses provide academic credit and/or continuing education units?
- All the courses in the Business Analysis Certificate Program offer academic credit. Students will also receive Professional Development Units valid through IIBA.
- When can I start the program?
- The Business Analysis Certificate Program is offered each Fall and Spring quarter.
Field of Business Analysis
- What skills does it take to be a Business Analyst?
-Good communication and being adept at building relationships and bringing people together.
-Curious, resourceful and proactive. Comfortable not knowing the answers and digging to find the information. Determined to find workable solutions.
-Agents of change. Comfortable addressing uncomfortable issues. Help guide others through transformation.
-Critical and independent thinkers. Comfortable leading and making decisions based on facts. Digest information, reach a conclusion and explain how and why you’re reaching it.
- What is the difference between a Project Manager and a Business Analyst?
The Project Manager manages the ENTIRE project: The application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to provide activities to meet the project requirements.
The Business Analyst conducts business analysis FOR the project: The set of tasks and techniques used to work as a liaison among stakeholders to understand the structure, policies, and operations of an organization, and to recommend solutions that enable the organization to meet its goals.
- What is the difference between Business Analysis and Business Analytics?
Business Analysis is the practice of enabling change in an organizational context by defining needs and recommending solutions that deliver value to stakeholders.
Business Analytics involves the examination of an organization’s data, with an emphasis on statistical analysis.
- What are the prospects of finding employment with this certification?
The career outlook for business analysts is on the rise. Employment of management analysts – including business analysts – is expected to grow 14% from 2014 to 2024, which is faster than average for most occupations.
Experienced analysts can look for upward mobility, while entrants into the field can look for entry-level supervisory roles as they accumulate the work experience required to complete certifications.While UC Davis Extension does not provide direct job placement for certificate students, we do have a partnership with TEKSystems, a leading provider of IT staffing, IT talent management and IT services throughout the world. Students can take advantage of these services for free. Learn more.
- Do I have to complete this certificate program to take any of the certification exams, such as the Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) exam through IIBA, or the Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA) exam through PMI?
Our certificate program teaches you to confidently do the job of business analysis by providing the knowledge, skills and tools as prescribed by professional organizations and current best-practice business theory.Our certificate fills in any knowledge gaps you may have in order to make you a successful business analyst. Note that you also must meet minimum work and education requirements to sit for these exams. We recommend that you research and understand these other factors before taking the exam preparation course.
- May I enroll in individual courses without completing the certificate?
- Yes, you may enroll in individual Business Analysis courses without completing the certificate. However, you will need to meet the requirements of the program pre-requisite – Foundations of Business Analysis, before taking more advanced courses.
- How many students are typically in each course?
- Class size varies from course to course. In an online environment, we generally allow up to 30 students in a class, although this number may be lower depending on how many students enroll in a given course.
- How does the “Fast Track model” work?
UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education's Business Analysis Fast Track Certificate format is a convenient way to accelerate the training process. Students can complete a certificate program in six months and save on the overall certificate cost with our pre-pay pricing option.When you choose the Fast Track Certificate option, we automatically enroll you in the most accelerated course plan, which includes two courses per quarter.
- I’ve taken previous Business Analysis courses from UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education. Do they count toward my certificate in the new program?
- UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education provides evolving educational opportunities to help working professionals advance in their careers, and we offer students up to five years to complete a certificate program. Courses taken within the last five years can be transferred to the newer certificate. Please speak with our advisors at (530) 757-8895 to discuss your personal path to certificate completion.
- Can I receive an extension on the discounted Fast Track price if I cannot complete the program in the scheduled time frame?
- No, the 15% discount is only offered to students who complete the Fast Track program in the time allotted. You must pay the regular price of $1,100 per course in addition to a $125 candidacy fee if you exceed the scheduled time period.
- What career benefits are available through TEKSystems?
- As a UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education's Business Analysis Certificate or Project Management Certificate student, you're eligible to receive free job placement assistance with our partner, TEKSystems, a leading provider of IT staffing, IT talent management and IT services throughout the world. Learn more.
- Who are the program instructors and what is their experience?
- UC Davis only hires business analysis instructors who have years of experience in their respective industries. Our instructors must also meet the stringent academic standards established by the University of California and the UC Davis Graduate School of Management. All our instructors must also be approved by the Dean of UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education.
Time and Cost
- How long will it take me to complete the Certificate Program?
- Students in the Fast Track Certificate Program will finish in 6 months. Students who complete one course at a time each quarter will finish in roughly 12 months. Students can take up to five years to complete the program.
- What is the cost of the program?
Students who take courses a la carte will pay $1,100 per course, for a total cost of $4,400 plus books and the certificate candidacy fee of $125.Fast Track Certificate Program students will pay a total cost of $3,740 plus the cost of books. There is no candidacy fee for Fast Track students.
- Are there program discounts for which I might be eligible?
- UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education has numerous discounts available to those who take courses not under the Fast Track model, including group discounts and discounts for IIBA, PMI and Cal Aggie Alumni Association (CAAA) members. The Fast Track program is already highly discounted, and, as such, allows fewer additional discounts than most UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education courses. Discounts cannot be stacked.
- Are all of the courses available online? Do I need to log into my courses at a particular time?
- You can access the material 24 hours a day. The Business Analysis program includes weekly live webinars, and it is highly recommended that students participate in these webinars in real time. However, the webinars are recorded so that students can also watch them afterward. Assignments are due the week following the webinar.
- How does online learning work?
Online courses have real instructors, students, course materials, assignments, tests and grades. They also have the same academic rigor and quality that you expect from our traditional, face-to-face courses. And our online learning courses require the same commitment and effort that you would bring to a classroom experience.The most obvious difference with an online learning format is that you don't have to travel to a classroom. In most cases, the entire course is taken online. You'll enjoy more flexibility with online learning courses because you work at a time and place convenient to you. However, without the demands of a specific time and place for a course meeting, you will have to use more self-discipline to ensure your timely progress through the course. If you do not set aside time each week for the course, you may quickly find yourself behind and overwhelmed. Our most successful students schedule themselves as they would for a classroom course, only on their own schedule.
- What are the technology requirements for this program?
- Since this program includes weekly live webinars students will need a computer with a strong and stable internet connection, as well as a webcam and microphone.
- What support is available if I have technical problems with a course?
- You can access technical support through the Online Learning Campus.
*Project Management Institute, PMI, Project Management Professional, PMP, Certified Associate in Project Management, CAPM, and PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.