Program at a Glance
- 15 months or less
- 5 online courses
- Eligible for VA Benefits
- Included on the Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL), as approved by Yolo County
Improving Health Care Through Analytics
The increasing availability of electronic health data creates an incredible opportunity to apply large-scale, clinical analytics to improve health care, manage risks and improve patient outcomes. UC Davis Division of Continuing and Professional Education’s online Healthcare Analytics Certificate Program gives you the knowledge and practical skills to become a leader in this high-demand niche of the healthcare industry.
- Related article: Why you should consider a career in healthcare analytics—and what you need to know to get started
Who is This Program For?
- Healthcare professionals in analyst, specialist or quality improvement roles seeking to deepen their data skills
- Early- and mid-career science, engineering or research professionals who work with, or would like to work with, health data
- Clinicians, administrators or operations professionals in healthcare with strong quantitative backgrounds looking for an immersion in analytics
What You’ll Learn
This career-oriented program gives you the knowledge to succeed as a clinical and operational analyst in health care. You’ll graduate from the program with a comprehensive understanding of the use and implementation of healthcare analytics, including:
- How to construct data files using advanced statistical and data programming techniques
- How to design data models that integrate patient data from multiple sources to create comprehensive, patient-centered views of data
- Analytic strategy to frame a potential issue and solution relevant to health improvement of patient populations
- Integrating clinical and business data to assess or compare the cost effectiveness of clinical interventions or processes
- Analysis of the distribution of disease and health outcomes in relevant populations of interest
What You'll Get
- A fully online program that lets you learn on your schedule
- A digital badge for your LinkedIn profile to share your professional achievement
- Opportunity to learn from industry-leading instructors, including UC Davis faculty and health systems experts, with comprehensive experience in healthcare analytics
- Hands-on experience with SQL, SAS and Tableau using live data sets
- Applied, practical skills you can use immediately in the workplace
- Small class sizes with exceptional networking opportunities
Earn a Badge
Earn a digital badge for your LinkedIn profile that demonstrates your mastery of this subject area. Learn more.
- $80,236 average salary for clinical analyst (Glassdoor)
- 9% projected growth in all computer analyst jobs from 2018-2028* (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- $94,500 average salary for medical and health services managers (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- 18% projected growth for medical and health services managers jobs from 2018-2028 (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
*analysts working in health care not separated out
Required Prerequisite: Completion of an introductory statistics course (Statistics 1 or equivalent) is required for Applied Healthcare Statistics. Students should understand and be able to apply the following concepts: variables and distributions, correlations, Null Hypothesis, regressions, group comparisons (t-tests and ANOVAs), generalized linear models. Students not comfortable with the preceding should take a refresher course. If you are unsure if a refresher course is necessary, review the Self-Exam for Applied Healthcare Statistics.
Recommended Prerequisite: Prior professional experience in health care or a previous background working with data and understanding of relational databases is strongly recommended but not required. Students with little or no relational database experience should include the SAS Primer course as part of their curricular plan.
Program Requirements: Courses may be taken individually or as part of the certificate program. The certificate is awarded upon the successful completion of five required courses (15 units), with a minimum grade of ‘C’ in each course and an overall average of ‘B’ or higher.
About the Online Format: Course modules are released weekly, where lessons typically load on Wednesdays and are due the following Tuesdays. Students can log in and work on courses at any time within that week to view lectures and complete assignments. Courses consist of video lectures, reading assignments, written assignments and discussion forums.
For more details please review our FAQs page.
It is suggested that you take courses in the following order, but not required: Introduction to Healthcare Analytics, Healthcare Data Acquisition and Management, Applied Healthcare Statistics, Data Mining for Healthcare Analytics, and Quantitative Methods of Decision Analysis. Order can be flexible depending on your experience level, speak to a program representative if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program cost: $6,000 (or $1,200 per course)
- See each course offering for discount opportunities
- A one-time, nonrefundable registration fee of $125 must be paid before completing this certificate program
- For more details, please review our FAQs page
For information about financing your education, please click here.
There are three ways to start earning your certificate. Choose the option that best suits your needs:
- Register – Complete this brief certificate registration form and pay the registration fee. By doing so, you declare your intent to complete the program and lock in program requirements. Once you register, program staff will be available to answer any questions you may have and assist you with your course plan.
- Enroll in an individual course – Check out individual courses that are currently open for enrollment. Courses will be applied to a certificate program if you later decide to complete your certificate.
- Sign up for an information session – Learn more about the Healthcare Analytics program by registering for a free information session. If an information session for this program is not currently open for enrollment, click on “notify me,” and we’ll contact you when the next one becomes available.
Questions? We’re here to help.
Contact our Enrollment Coach, Cathy Zhao, if you would like to schedule an appointment. She can speak with you about our program, answer your questions and help ensure it’s the right fit for your goals. Schedule your conversation with Cathy.
If you’ve got a question, email us or call (530) 757-8777.