This is a 1.5 CEU option for the Area 3 Writing Project workshop.
In the secondary classroom, there is simply not enough time to get it all in, and self-selected reading and writing is often left out. Research shows that students need to read and write much more to be prepared for college and a career. This workshop is designed to help teachers balance class periods so reading and writing is done daily, even by the most reluctant readers and writers.
Reading topics include:
- Independent reading book selection and ways to increase interest in reading
- Setting weekly, quarterly and yearly reading goals
- Response to reading In meaningful ways through notebooking
- How to balance self-selected reading with curriculum requirements
- Assessment and grading
- Funding and maintaining a dynamic classroom library
Writing topics include:
- Think, Ink, Share: ways to build in routine and daily writing time
- Writing mini lessons, notebooking and the writing process
- High-interest vocabulary building
- Using mentor texts to teach literacy skills, as well as model good writing
- Text types and genres
For more information visit: http://writing.ucdavis.edu/programs-services/area-3-writing-project