Students will learn how construction plans are organized under the Uniform Drawing System, how to understand plans and specifications set forth by the architect/designer, and how to apply this knowledge to the construction process from the conceptual drawings through final construction.
- Develop ability to read complex construction plans and design specifications.
- Know how to analyze complex plans, identify specifications and scope of use, and organize construction assembly details.
- Understand how construction plans are organized under the Uniform Drawing System, with emphasis on showing the eight Specification Modules set forth by the Construction Specifications Institute.
- Use the Application of Specification Divisions (AIA) for plan organization and reading, field utilization and project management applications.
- Demonstrate building code compliance by accessing information from plans and specifications.
- Know “The Alphabet of Lines” and its application to plans and drawings, plans symbols and abbreviations.
- Ability to develop accurate construction cost estimates through plan reading and understanding of construction materials types and uses.
- Understanding of how to integrate plan reading, specifications and assemblies by various shareholders and agencies.