Learn to establish and manage profitable small vineyards with in-depth instruction and hands-on learning in this workshop designed for the grape grower, winemaker, viticulturist and apprentice viticulturist in the heart of Napa Valley at our Oakville Experiment Station.
Day one topics include:
- Site selection to avoid frost and freeze events
- Site preparation and amendment
- Trellis selection to manage vineyard vigor
- Soil preparation and amendments to ensure profitability
- Cultural practices focusing on practical aspects of management
- Irrigation system design and simplified irrigation scheduling for productivity
- Quality and harvesting decisions
Day two will be spent in the vineyard, examining vineyard instruction on trellis types, pruning, irrigation system design and sprayer calibration.
Please dress appropriately for the vineyard sessions with closed-toe shoes, long sleeve shirts and pants. Space is limited. Early enrollment is encouraged