This distinctive course exposes you to disciplinary tools and concepts that inform the policy process and provides opportunities to apply your learning to contemporary issues and problems facing California. Led by Peter Detwiler, former director of the Senate Local Government Committee, and a team of policy insiders, this course offers practical skills in policy analysis, policy memo-writing and public testimony. The course culminates in a simulation designed to prepare you for the rigors of legislative hearings.
- Minding the Process and Content of Policy
- Economics and Public Policy
- Paying for Public Services in a Voter-Constrained Environment
- Using Research Effectively in the Policy Process
- Collaborative Policy Making
- Designing an Effective Proposal
- A Mock Hearing