Living and working in a socially distanced environment has forced many of us to adopt a completely new form of communication as we connect, collaborate and socialize virtually. Video calls and other manners of virtual communication have quickly become mainstream, resulting in the development of new protocols and norms in how we interact with each other. An unfamiliarity with the medium, and the inherent barrier placed between people in this format, can sometimes lead to unusual or awkward interactions, misunderstandings and disagreements.
In this course designed for managers, HR professionals, teachers, medical providers, mental health professionals and anyone else who often has to engage with others in a remote format, you’ll learn techniques and best practices for virtual communication. Through lecture, group discussion and role-playing practice, you'll familiarize yourself with effective tools and resources for analyzing and resolving misunderstandings and disputes that may arise more commonly in a virtual or other socially distanced setting. By the end of this course, you will possess the skills necessary to manage your emotions, assess other’s reactions and implement de-escalation techniques that will help remove the virtual barrier and result in better personal interactions.
- Manage your emotions and reactions when engaging with others virtually
- Evaluate the sources of a person's emotions and reactions when misunderstandings arise
- Apply a range of techniques to soften and resolve disputes that arise in the virtual setting
- Employ methods to rebuild trust
- Practice behaviors and formulate a vocabulary that deepens mutual understanding
- Conflict resolution