History/Social Science teachers of grades 6-12 will strengthen their knowledge of how to help students build capacity for argument literacy as described in the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science and Technical Subjects.
- A brief review of foundational principles underpinning the CCSS
- Identifying claims and analyzing the logic and evidence that supports them
- Selecting evidence to marshal support for written explanations and arguments
- Quoting, paraphrasing, citing evidence
- Using chronology, cause and effect, compare/contrast, and argument to explain the past
- Synthesizing information from multiple primary and secondary sources
- Facilitating peer collaboration and review to develop and strengthen writing