This course is a 3.0 CEU option for registered participants in UC Davis Math Project Elementary Institute: Transforming Math Instruction in Elementary School.
Explore a variety of strategies, techniques and other tools designed to transform math instruction and support the development of mathematically powerful students. Examine various instructional materials, and learn ways to revise and enhance lessons based on the strategies and techniques shared through the institute.
Participants will work with math educators and teacher-leaders to:
- Examine the role of beliefs and mindset in the teaching and learning of math along with tools and resources for use in the classroom
- Discuss the importance of and strategies for developing number sense, including daily math activities and number talks
- Experience investigations, activities and tasks designed to maximize opportunities for students to make sense of and understand the math they are learning
- Revisit common beliefs and practices related to the use of manipulatives and models, ongoing practice and review, and homework
- Explore several core strategies for teaching math to elementary students, including strategies that promote academic discourse
- Adapt and enhance lesson activities for use in classrooms to better support all students in becoming mathematically proficient
For additional details, registration, and inquires please visit http://mathproject.ucdavis.edu/.