- I don't have a background in Human Resource Management. Am I qualified to enter this program?
- Yes. Our program offers a range of options, from fundamental Human Resource skills appropriate for those entering the field, to more advanced training for those who want to further their education.
- I have been in the Human Resource field for most of my career. Will this program be relevant for me?
- Our program was designed to provide training on topics at the forefront of the human resources profession, such as Talent Acquisition, Compensation and Total Rewards and Talent Development and Management. In addition, we are an an Approved Provider for the HR Certification Institute (HRCI), and our courses offer HRCI credit for those seeking to obtain or maintain certification.
- I have limited Human Resource experience. How difficult are the courses?
- The courses are designed to give hands-on, practical experience for those working in and transitioning to the HR industry.
- Is the certificate program accredited?
- UC Davis has been fully accredited since 1954 by Western Association of Schools and Colleges - Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC, previously referred to by the general acronym WASC), our regional accreditation agency.
The classes within the Human Resource Management Certificate Program have been approved by the Graduate School of Management at UC Davis and offer academic credit.
Additionally, we are an Approved Provider for the Human Resource Certificate Institute (HRCI) and our classes offer recertification credits for their credentials. The classes within the Human Resource Management Certificate Program have been approved by the Graduate School of Management at UC Davis and offer academic credit.
- What are the requirements to earn the certificate
- To earn the Human Resource Management Certificate, you must complete five required courses (12 units) and four or five elective courses (10 units). We offer a rapid pathway to completion – the certificate can be completed in five quarters (15 months) if you take two courses per quarter.
- Do the courses provide academic credit and/or continuing education units?
- Yes, our courses offer academic credit. We are also an Approved Provider for the HR Certification Institute (HRCI), and our courses offer HRCI credit for those seeking to obtain or maintain certification.
- Which electives should I choose?
- Our electives are designed to accommodate different career pathways. Whether you’re an HR generalist, an office manager or a business partner, you can choose the courses that suit your needs. To work with a program advisor on a customized career plan, please call (530) 757-8895.
- Do you have a suggested order in which to complete the courses?
You may take the courses in any order, but if you have limited Human Resource experience, we recommend you begin with Principles of Human Resources. If you are starting in a quarter where this class is not offered, you may want to start with another required course. The required courses provide general information that all HR professionals should know and will give you a good foundation to help you select targeted electives that follow your desired career path.
- Do I need to apply for the program before I start taking courses?
- No application is required to enter the certificate program.
- What prior education is required to qualify for this program?
- Anyone can take this program. You do not have to provide documentation for any prior education.
- May in enroll in individual courses without completing the certificate?
- Yes, you may enroll in individual courses as you need them.
- How many students are typically en each course?
- Most classes have between 15 and 20 students.
- Who are the program instructors and what is their experience
Program instructors are high-caliber experts in their field and have years of professional experience.How long will it take me to complete my certificate?
- How long will it take me to complete my certificate?
The certificate is designed to be completed in 15 months if you take two courses each quarter. However, at the time you enroll in your first course, you have up to five years to complete the certificate.
- What does the program cost?
- The certificate costs between $6,890 and $7,895, depending on which elective courses you choose. Individual courses range from $675 to $875.
- Are there any program discounts offered?
- Yes, if you enroll two weeks before the class begins, you can take advantage of an Early Enrollment discount of $50 per class. We also offer a group discount (for groups of three or more), SEAC and SAHRA members receive a 10% discount and CAAA Members receive $50 off course fees.
- Do you offer financial aid?
- There are several student financial aid options available to students at UC Davis continuing and Professional Education. Learn more.
- Are the classes available in a classroom or online?
- Courses in the Human Resource Management program are taught in our Sacramento-based classrooms at the One Capitol Mall. This allows for a rich networking experience with instructors and peers, as well as lectures by prominent guest speakers. These classes also engage students with a strong online classroom component.
- For what kinds of roles does this certificate prepare me?
- This certificate can prepare you for a variety of roles, from HR Generalist to Talent Manager, to Global Mobility Manager to Recruiter and many more.
- What is the salary range I can expect to earn once I'm employed?
- The average Human Resource Manager made $110,120 in 2017. The job outlook for this career is predicted to grow at 9% through 2024. *Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015 Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Which classes offer HRCI credit?
- All of our courses are approved for HRCI credit. Whether your goal is to obtain certification or maintain your existing certification via courses on advanced HR topics, our course offerings are appropriate. Some of our courses also provide California credit and Business credit, which are more difficult to obtain. Call (530) 757-8895 for more details.
- Are the certificate courses transferrable into a master's degree program?
UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education and the University of the Pacific now allows students to apply units from our Human Resource Management Certificate Program toward a Master of Arts in Education with a Concentration in Organizational Learning and Effectiveness (MAOLE) at the University of the Pacific. Learn more.